Friday, April 21, 2006

Day 14

The blessings of thunder, lightning, and rain overnight. Shook it all up quite nicely, and cool this morning to boot.

I have wiled at length this morning, naughty indulgence: Copperfield by text for a good hour at WFM over coffee, then home to cine-Field, with the exquisite Fields-McCawber. Wonderfully surprised, ups and downs: I look forward to the latest version, though I do very much like the 1935 Aunt Betsey.

It hit me, finally, in WFM, what a wonderfully comic figure Dora is: though Agnes' advocate through much of the novel so far, I found the scene where Dora sees through DC's efforts to "form her" quite lovely: very strange, but all that had previously irritated me shifted to blithe comedy: I'm hoping 1999 plays it more that way: Raquel Welch, say, in the Musketeers films: blithe folly.

Artless?

Along comes Ms. Eileen with her Findhorn ways this morning. "To obey and follow." "To stay open in order to hear." Is she turning up the heat? To what extent does this apply?

Later:

How cool was it to pick my son up in the car, without all the bus mangle, Mrs. Baby toodling along on her own in the new mobile. Don't get me wrong: the bus mangle has been its own blessing: how else to have read the bulk of what I have devoured over the past few years?

Watched the 1999 Copperfield, an exquisite production: so nice to have slowed the pace down and not race to the end, as Cukor's frenetic 1935 film seems to have done. Who wasn't excellent - even if chillingly so (see, Rosa Dartle, The Murdstones, good old Heep)? Nice to hang out with my babies watching this together. Yes, I was boo-hooing throughout. Joanna Page's Dora was perfect.

Don't get me wrong: Roland Young's Uriah and W. C.'s McCawber are a hoot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home